I wanted to remind all of those who are playing this summer to make sure they are consuming enough liquids due to the hot and humid conditions in the area.
If you follow the guidelines listed below it may decrease the chance of you becoming dehydrated.
1) Consume 16 oz. of fluid two hours prior to exercise.
2) An additional 8-16 oz. may be required if exercising in warm weather
3) Drink 20-40 oz. of fluid for every hour of exercise.
4) Fluids should be cool due to rapid gastric emptying.
5) If exercise exceeds 60 minutes, using a sports drink (containing up to 8% carbohydrate) can replace fluid and muscle-glycogen stores.
6) If exercise is less than 60 minutes, water is the best choice for fluid replacement.
7) The goal is to replace sweat and urine losses.
8) Ingest 20 oz. of fluid for every pound of body weight lost after an exercise bout, especially if rapid re-hydration is necessary.
A general guideline when you are not active is to drink eight 8oz glasses of water totaling about 64oz per day. This may need to be increased if you are active or live in a warm climate.
I wish everyone a happy and safe Summer Season of Tennis!